We are excited to kick off the search for a Head of Talent to join our team. We are looking for exceptional, independent, and thoughtful candidates who can join us to lead our talent and people efforts across our portfolio companies and quickly become an integral part of our platform team. While Canaan has offices in the Bay Area and NYC/CT, we are also open to remote candidates.
Do you love working closely with founders and CHROs to help scale early-stage companies? If so, we want to hear from you.
Canaan is an $800M fund with $6B AUM that invests in visionaries with transformative ideas. For over 30 years, Canaan has partnered with entrepreneurs that have had a fundamental impact on technology and healthcare. Canaan’s early stage investments span a wide range of sectors and include companies like Instacart, The Real Real, Turo, Aeva, Arvinas and Day One Therapeutics.
We are a tight-knit and diverse team that’s big on performance but low on ego. We welcome out-of-the-box thinking and spirited debate. It’s our individual backgrounds and interests that inform our collective approach, which spans industries, generations and coasts.
About The Role
We are hiring for a people leader to work alongside our portfolio companies across HR strategy, organizational design, and recruiting needs. This is the first talent hire on our platform team that currently consists of our Head of Community, Director of Marketing, and Manager of Culture, Diversity Inclusion. The incoming hire would play a crucial role in defining the talent function. Areas of focus for the talent position include the following:
- For the portfolio:
- Design and implement a curriculum / best practices for portfolio company organizational design, hiring, people management, and development practices
- Assist with compensation planning and questions
- Establish themselves as the go-to resource for talent needs by our CEOs and CHROs
- Source strategic C-suite executives for portfolio companies via the Canaan Network
- Develop and manage database of open roles across Canaan’s portfolio
- For the firm:
- Create and proactively nurture Canaan’s executive database/network
- Work closely with Canaan’s Manager of Culture and D&I to drive diversity, equity, and inclusion impact across the portfolio
- Build relationships with partner organizations and talent/HR resources
- Search firms:
- Manage and grow relationships with a preferred group of search firms
- Serve as liaison and advisor between portfolio companies and search firms during hiring processes
You are an established and dynamic professional with a sophisticated understanding of the HR and talent needs of venture-backed startups (ranging from 2-200+ employees). You are someone who is scrappy and willing to roll up their sleeves and get in the weeds with our portfolio CEOs/CHROs in a consultative manner. You are a self-starter and can hit the ground running to build out Canaan’s talent practice.
While the below are some of the qualities we are looking for, we encourage anyone who believes they can be successful in this role to apply:
- 6+ years of People Ops and leadership at a start-up and/or talent role at a VC
- Experience in assessment, recruitment, and team building, as well as compensation trends and benchmarking
- Experience in high-growth, scaling environments
- Independent, energetic self-starter who values excellence
- Proven track record of interacting with and advising senior level positions in organizations (CxO level)
- Existing relationships with search firms, talent pools, and HR professionals (or a willingness to develop such relationships)
- DEI training/expertise (or a willingness to learn)
- Ability to think creatively and critically while juggling multiple projects at once
- Strong communication skills
- Familiarity with core business functions i.e. marketing, sales, engineering
- Someone who can thrive in a dynamic, intimate, relatively unstructured work environment
How to Apply
If all of the above excites you, please complete this application. You will hear back from us shortly with next steps. We look forward to hearing from you!